The Pub in 2023: Feedback Welcome!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think we need an RPG Pub Hall of Fame, no joke.

Of course, the Pub's staff all deserve a spot, as do certain forum members past and present

I also wouldn't mind doing an RPG Pub meetup/micro-convention in 2024 for both the 50th Anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons and the 7th Anniversary of the Pub itself, if that is doable (I understand if it isn't)

Of course, the meetup should be in Roanoke, VA! The city where I lived for the past fifteen years is practically now a meme on this site.

Last edited:
So a question for the admins, maybe specifically for whatever apparition is calling himself these days (oh, my memory). This site in particular seems to chem rather a lot of memory when I have the tab open. I use a lot of sites and it's only this one that regularly gives my computer the need to tell me stories about esoteric things like 'high memory usage', whatever that is when its at home. Thoughts anyone? Maybe there's something I can do, IDK.

So a question for the admins, maybe specifically for whatever apparition is calling himself these days (oh, my memory). This site in particular seems to chem rather a lot of memory when I have the tab open. I use a lot of sites and it's only this one that regularly gives my computer the need to tell me stories about esoteric things like 'high memory usage', whatever that is when its at home. Thoughts anyone? Maybe there's something I can do, IDK.

Which operating system and which web browser are you using? Also, are you using extensions?

Which operating system and which web browser are you using? Also, are you using extensions?
I'm using Edge (blah, I know, work computer). Windows 10, and no extensions that I know of.

I'm using Edge (blah, I know, work computer). Windows 10, and no extensions that I know of.
Edge makes my antivirus block something twice whenever i fire it up, which at my level of comp sci means I automatically get to know something good is happening without having to roll for it, amifnrite?

I wish I was a big enough geek to use Linux.
Used it in my grad studies days instead of windows because "fk windows!" and I had a PS2/3/4 for gaming. Linux isn't an operating system, it's a hobby. Imagine windows is a hoverdisk that gets your produce to market when you push a button; but if you want you can use linux and make getting the jalopy up and running an integral part of getting your produce to market.

Edge is Chrome with extra Microsoft bloatware. I.e., it's a RAM hog. Between that and it being a work computer, I'm guessing that your system is just low on RAM. Unfortunately, I don't have much to tell you. The modern World Wide Web is a huge memory hog. My personal desktop computer has 64 GBs of memory because 16 GBs of RAM was no longer enough to run a video game, Discord, Signal, and a web browser with about a dozen tabs open simultaneously.

Used it in my grad studies days instead of windows because "fk windows!" and I had a PS2/3/4 for gaming. Linux isn't an operating system, it's a hobby. Imagine windows is a hoverdisk that gets your produce to market when you push a button; but if you want you can use linux and make getting the jalopy up and running an integral part of getting your produce to market.
Something... Something... Hipster meme.

I maintain a dual-boot machine where I do most things on Linux and just use Windows to play games. Linux isn't quite there yet for gaming and Windows is trash for anything else.

maxresdefault.jpg

Lol, I know you know how much of the internet runs on Linux, but Linux as a desktop, this is absolutely true. I did it myself for a good many years and grew a lot of skills out of it.
Oh my yes, I just meant that using Linux as your only PC OS is like having a hobby in terms of time investment and as you say, all the little skills and knacks you develop.

I maintain a dual-boot machine where I do most things on Linux and just use Windows to play games. Linux isn't quite there yet for gaming and Windows is trash for anything else.
Last time I tried to learn Linux, I realized that I really only use a computer to play games and surf the Internet. Tasks for which Windows is eminently suited and far less hassle.

I keep a Linux laptop for some development. all my professional work was on Linux of some sort. These days I use windows mostly. I have less time to debug and tweak. Not that windows is flawless by any means but I can usually find the relevant answers faster via queries. Linux has always had a community problem of too many folks trying to alpha geek and tell you to RTFM or do a shit ton of debugging first and just being dicks for being dicks sake Used to love it in the 90s and 2000s. So many levers to pull and dials to spin.

too many folks trying to alpha geek and tell you to RTFM or do a shit ton of debugging first and just being dicks for being dicks sake

That's why I only read stackoverflow these days; if I asked a question I'd likely get my head bit off.

One of my work laptops runs Linux (the Red Hat one). My other one (IBM) runs Windows and I don't use it much. My personal laptop runs Windows, but I have a Linux VM running most of the time (it doesn't run when I've brought the laptop with me on vacation...). I use the Linux VM for all of my work code development and I have a few tasks for personal use that I do on it (mostly things where tools like grep and sed are really useful).

Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook are the main tools that make Windows easier to use, though a major factor is actually the easy way out is to buy a laptop with Windows installed... The other tools I use day to day are web browsers, which work just fine on Windows.

I switched from Ubuntu to Manjaro about a year or so ago. I began to hate the Ubuntu interface, just seemed unpolished and some design decisions made no sense. Tried Manjaro, and fell in love with the GUI. So nice! That said, because its a lesser known distro, when something goes wrong, you'll have lots of opportunities to learn shit lol.

At work, I stick with Ubuntu Server for the servers. CLI for the win!

I am increasingly having issues with the TV audio when watching recent movies and shows with the dialogue being too low and music and effects too loud. I understand it's a common issue.

This has nothing to do with Pub 2023 Feedback, I just wanted to contribute to the threadfall.

I am increasingly having issues with the TV audio when watching recent movies and shows with the dialogue being too low and music and effects too loud. I understand it's a common issue.

This has nothing to do with Pub 2023 Feedback, I just wanted to contribute to the threadfall.
If you are watching Christopher Nolan movies my understanding is that some of it is intentional.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back